Why did I make big pots the first day of the flu? Well I knew I was only going to get sicker, so while I could, I made ten little pitchers, five large urns for resist work, and three other large urns. The second day of the flu I made lids, and slept. The third day I trimmed all the pots, and slept. The fourth day I slept, trimmed lids, joined knobs, and carved urns. The remaining ten days I’ve slept, carved urns, took photo’s and slept… and vowed to get a flu shot next year!
Here are some nice shots of the urns in process. It’s a very long process, between the throwing, trimming, and carving the feet and rim. Once the pot dries completely liquid wax resist is brushed on to create the floral pattern. (This process is known as shellac resist or hydro abrasion). Then comes the long process of rubbing away the clay with a sponge, (which I thought would be a nice sitting down job while not having much energy). Where there is no resist the clay slowly gets etched away.
Here is a finished mini version of the large urn… a little keepsake in my son Andrew’s hands. To see more of these and other urns visit my website and or LuciaUrns on etsy.
If you want to see a nice little video on this method, check out Ron Philbeck , “Hydro Abrasion” He explains it very well! http://youtu.be/d_HHrNdPGIk
When I make my urns I tend to do a lot of carving into them, it may be as simple as carved leaves or as complex as a four-footed form.
I have been very busy the past couple of months just trying to keep up with the many orders for urns. Every now and then I’ll get a commission for a personalized urn. Here are a couple of photos of a footed urn being carved for a dog name Winslow, and a carved leaf urn for cat named Ruphus!
Have you ever tried making really tiny lidded pots? It ain’t easy. I remember when I was in high school, seeing a Ceramics Monthly magazine with an article about a woman who made teeny, tiny little pots for doll houses. I couldn’t believe anyone could work that small, I still can’t. The images of those pots just stick in my mind. Well these pots of mine are not that small, but are tiny… approximately 2.5″.
You would think, the smaller the pot, the easier it would be to make, and it should probably be very inexpensive. I have been making these tiny keepsakes the past few months and have realized the effort and loss factor in trimming a pot and lid that is less than a 1/4 lb is very time-consuming!
These little cuties are named Petite Keepsakes and are listed on my urns page of my website. (I hope to get these new photos on the website soon). These are made with the intention of holding a precious memory, like a piece of jewelry, a poem, a love note, or storing a tiny bit of ashes from a loved one who has passed on.
So my etsy shop is open, with just eight things so far, hopefully more to come this week. I’m overwhelmed. You start one new thing and your focus goes totally there… everything else drops off. It happened when I started blogging, then facebook, now etsy. Etsy is a good thing, but takes so much time to photograph everything well, and to network well. And it’s only going to be a good thing if you do all these things well. I’m finding it to be like all other marketing… it all takes time… time that I never seem to have enough of!
On top of trying to get the etsy shop started last week, the making of pottery couldn’t stop. I shipped out four cremation urns in two days, that rarely happens, and it made me realize how low my stock of urns is. So I made quite a few urns last week, some are quite large… it is physically very tiring. Then there is the whole emotional aspect of making urns, I will have another whole post on that soon.
The last couple of posts I talked about the tall urn forms I am making, and the many steps involved. This next step is what I consider just plain boring! ( I think I need a book on CD to listen to). This is the part where I sit for hours rubbing away the clay which is not covered by the resist design. I cannot do them all in one day, I’ll go crazy. ( Maybe I should think of it as meditation instead). I take many breaks, as I have seven of these urns to complete, plus six little ones. I”ll take about a week to finish them, doing one a day, in between all my other work. Here are some photos of this part of the process. You can see the finished piece on my website.
Piece on the left with clay wiped away
Ready for the Bisque Firing
Back in March I talked about tiles, patterns, and sketches for larger pieces. I showed a picture of a new clover leaf pattern urn drying… well here is the finished product! This is a pattern I have been using for years is various ways on clay. The repetitive stamped pattern has always intrigued me in the way it creates an optical illusion between positive and negative space.
This piece and lots of other goodies will be on the new website coming soon!